Post 1 of 2
This is one of those bitter sweet posts, saying farewell to Scrapbookers Anonymous. I’ve had a great time on the Design Team, I started this blog, met some great people on-line and busted a load of stash: which after all is what Scrapbookers Anonymous was all about. But all good things must come to an end and so this is the last challenge from SA – ‘Show us Your Stash!’ (oooer missus)
I am in the middle of moving my scrap room, so I thought I’d show you what arrived from 2peas recently instead. First of all the delicious Neapolitan line from American Crafts. They had already started selling out so I didn’t manage to get all the papers I wanted – the chevrons and multi stripe had all gone. The papers are double sided, which is why there are 2 shots. I thought the Crate Paper trims would go well and three of the four are a perfect match. I also bought some stamps but they got left in the box and I only found them when I was packing up so they aren’t in the photos!
Fancy Pants’ Summers End was on 50% off so I couldn’t resist. I thought the Cosmo Cricket butterflies and circles stickers would co-ordinate so they jumped into the basket too.
Fancy Pants’ Back to School was discounted well so I got some 12X12 sheets which I thought would make good backgrounds, some chipboard and a 6X6 pad.
These Basic Grey card kits were on special offer. I shouldn’t be stuck for cards for a while.
Then there’s a whole host of other papers, a Hambly woodgrain overlay, washi tape, twine, some embellishments and another 6X6 pad. Love those Cosmo Cricket Circa 1934 papers.
This Tim Holtz pad was half price, so I thought it was worth experimenting. Love the pear die cut – it’s been in my basket for ages. Some of the reverse sides on these papers were so nice I wish I’d bought 2 sheets. That’s the downside to internet shopping – you can’t always see what you are getting so clearly.
And finally some alphas. Those Amy Tangerine thickers are so lush and there are caps and lower case in the same pack – total Win! The black thickers were free because I spent so much on the Neapolitan collection.
I also bought some Fancy Pants buttons for Puddle Duck, to co-ordinate with some baby papers she has to make a LO of Cousin No.2. There were 2 papers which looked nice on screen but weren’t so nice in person, so they were immediately donated to Puddle Duck.
A couple of people have asked me about post and packing and taxes on orders from the States, so I’ll share what little I know:
- When you order from 2peas you are quoted $70 for P&P and insurance is an optional extra, but you are only charged for the actual cost – which was still $60.61, including insurance, for the above order.
- You do not have to pay import duty on goods below a value of £135, but you do pay VAT if it’s over £15. You can find more info here.
- Although the Post Office don’t add on VAT, other carriers do attract the tax, so expect to pay VAT on the P&P as well as the goods you receive – and on the insurance.
- Parcel Force will charge you an additional £8 handling charge to pay the tax and deliver your parcel – if you don’t pay they won’t deliver it, which is why I refer to it as ‘the ransom’.
- They don’t make it easy to challenge the charges – the e-mail address provided doesn’t work and the phone is always engaged (I gave up trying to get the VAT back on some children’s clothes from Gymboree and never ordered from there again)
- If your order is small it may go through without getting stopped, but once you have paid tax on anything, every parcel seems to attract attention from then on.
- To avoid paying tax on digital downloads, don’t include them with a physical order – order them separately.
- It took 2 weeks from order to delivery (the tracking at 2peas is pretty good), with the longest delay being getting through customs and sending the ransom note (hardly worth the £8 charge!)
I got some hefty discounts on some of the items, but I’m not sure that my savings covered the additional charges on this particular order.
What experience have you had ordering from the States? Where do you buy most of your stash?
P.S. This is my 80th post – hoorah!