Welcome to a double Technique Tuesday, where I have used two techniques. I dusted off my watercolours and tried out this cool idea for making enamel dots from plastic beads. To say we have a few of these beads in our house could be described as an understatement!
We got these huge jars from Ikea, with a set of peg boards in different shapes. Puddle Duck has made a few coasters and pictures but it’s barely made a dent in the content of the jars. She was definitely up for using them to make enamal dots and helped lay them out on the baking parchment.
It’s a good idea to have a flat sheet – ours was crinkly so they kept falling over and moving when another bead was placed. The Citrus Twist website has 325 degrees as the temperature. Since it’s an American site I guess that’s in Fahrenheit (my oven doesn’t go up that high), so I converted to Centigrade/Celsius – it’s around 165 degrees for UK and European readers.
It doesn’t take long for the beads to start melting. I left them in a little longer than 30 minutes because some of them stayed as rings rather than forming dots. It seemed to be particular colours so I will put them on their side next time to see if I can get a better result. The translucent beads worked better than the solid colours – maybe it’s a different plastic.
Some came out as ovals rather than circles and those which were too close together came out in interesting shapes. Puddle Duck likes the mis-shapes – especially the rings.
The LO I have to share today is one of those with enamel dots and a bit of watercolour painting. You’ll know by now that I don’t really go in for the messy paint effects, so my use of watercolour is very restrained and traditional. I started with a sheet of Amy Tangerine sketchbook paper which featured outlines of flowers and the sketched cameras. I painted the flowers and two cameras, cut out the cameras and then adhered them with the flowers – one using pop dots to give a 3D embellishment.
I used a selection of photos, printed at 2 X 3 from a day trip to London we had during the Whitsun Bank Holiday last year. Rather than a single large journalling card I used pieces of cards tucked under the photos to provide a commentary of what we did that day.
I added a bicycle paper clip, so that covers all the criteria for this month’s challenge at Scrap Our Stash.
Enjoy your Easter Holidays.