Welcome to a double Technique Tuesday, where I have used two techniques. I dusted off my watercolours and tried out this cool idea for making enamel dots from plastic beads. To say we have a few of these beads in our house could be described as an understatement!
We got these huge jars from Ikea, with a set of peg boards in different shapes. Puddle Duck has made a few coasters and pictures but it’s barely made a dent in the content of the jars. She was definitely up for using them to make enamal dots and helped lay them out on the baking parchment.
It’s a good idea to have a flat sheet – ours was crinkly so they kept falling over and moving when another bead was placed. The Citrus Twist website has 325 degrees as the temperature. Since it’s an American site I guess that’s in Fahrenheit (my oven doesn’t go up that high), so I converted to Centigrade/Celsius – it’s around 165 degrees for UK and European readers.
It doesn’t take long for the beads to start melting. I left them in a little longer than 30 minutes because some of them stayed as rings rather than forming dots. It seemed to be particular colours so I will put them on their side next time to see if I can get a better result. The translucent beads worked better than the solid colours – maybe it’s a different plastic.
Some came out as ovals rather than circles and those which were too close together came out in interesting shapes. Puddle Duck likes the mis-shapes – especially the rings.
They stick really easily with a dab of tacky glue. I’ve already used some on two LOs and Puddle Duck used three as drawer handles on a table she made for her Monster High dolls.
The LO I have to share today is one of those with enamel dots and a bit of watercolour painting. You’ll know by now that I don’t really go in for the messy paint effects, so my use of watercolour is very restrained and traditional. I started with a sheet of Amy Tangerine sketchbook paper which featured outlines of flowers and the sketched cameras. I painted the flowers and two cameras, cut out the cameras and then adhered them with the flowers – one using pop dots to give a 3D embellishment.
I used a selection of photos, printed at 2 X 3 from a day trip to London we had during the Whitsun Bank Holiday last year. Rather than a single large journalling card I used pieces of cards tucked under the photos to provide a commentary of what we did that day.
I added a bicycle paper clip, so that covers all the criteria for this month’s challenge at Scrap Our Stash.
I just have the journalling and final embellishment to finish on that second LO ready to share on Sunday. And I’ve managed to photograph my counterfeit kit too.
Enjoy your Easter Holidays.